Big shout out to Gerrard Haigh, Y8, who received special recognition from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service for his community spirited actions during the flooding in Sowerby Bridge in March. He was presented with this acknowledgement in a special event at Halifax Fire Station. Gerrard's often a hero in school too, especially at our Dance and Gym Show. A fantastic example of kindness and endeavour.
This is the text of the letter:
On behalf of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, I wish to express my appreciation to Gerrard Haigh.
I would like to express my sincere appreciation for your actions during the recent flooding incidents in Sowerby Bridge.
Officers who attended the numerous incidents during terrible weather conditions have reported to me that you were a tremendous help during operations, and your actions assisted in resolving these incidents safely.
The specific actions you undertook which were worthy of note are:
1. Alerted fire service personnel to flooded property other than those already being dealt with.
2. Carrying sand bags to divert flow of water.
3. Moving furniture to the first floor of a number of properties to avoid water damage.
4. Packing food into boxes and moving to safe location from Willow cafe.
5. Assisting with direction of traffic.
6. Consoling distressed members of the public whose property was flood damaged.
7. Moving fire service equipment when asked (blue flashing lights and police accident sign).
8. Stayed at incident to assist relief crews who arrived on scene after 20:00hrs.
9. Gathered information for the Incident commander, such as contact details for business owners.
Once again, thank you for your assistance.
District Commander, Calderdale